Sri Lanka attacks: Death toll soars to 290 after bombings hit churches and hotels

0
43
Spread the love

The death toll in Sri Lanka has soared to 290 after a wave of blasts hit churches and luxury hotels across the country on Sunday.

Police said 24 people had been arrested, but it is not yet known who carried out the attacks.

About 500 people are injured and at least 35 foreigners are among the dead.

The Easter Sunday bombings were the deadliest violence Sri Lanka has witnessed since the end of the country’s civil war in 2009.

Late on Sunday, Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said security services had been “aware of information” of possible attacks but that the information had not been acted upon.

How did the attacks unfold?

The first reports of explosions came at about 08:45 local time (03:15 GMT) with six blasts reported within a small space of time.

Three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and Colombo’s Kochchikade district were targeted during Easter services. Blasts also rocked the Shangri-La, Kingsbury and Cinnamon Grand hotels in the country’s capital.

All the attacks were carried out by suicide bombers, reports said.

Police then carried out raids on two addresses and there were explosions at both. One was in Dehiwala, southern Colombo, and the other was near the Colombo district of Dematagoda in which three officers were killed.

The air force said an improvised explosive device – a 6ft-long [1.8m] plastic pipe packed with explosives – had been found and disposed of near the country’s main airport in the capital, Colombo.

Police have not provided a breakdown of how many were killed and wounded at each location, Reuters reports.

It remains unclear who was behind the attacks and no information has been given on the identity of the 24 people arrested.

However, the BBC’s Azzam Ameen in Colombo says the bombers are thought to be part of a “radical extremist Islamist group” according to authorities.

Addressing reports that officials had had prior intelligence of forthcoming attacks, Mr Wickremesinghe said: “We must look into why adequate precautions were not taken. Neither I nor the ministers were kept informed.”

Source: bbcnews

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here